ORSI was founded in 1957 under the leadership of Prof P. C. Mahalanobis who continued to guide the societyfor the first seven years after its inception. Prof. Mahalanabis, a distinguished educator who was also the member of the Planning Commission, Fellow of Royal Society, founder of the Indian Statistical Institute and a President of the International Statistical Institute.
ORSI instituted this award in 2017 based on a generous endowment by a senior life member who does not want to be named. This award will be presented again to three distinguished educators one in Operations Research, one in engineering and one in management discipline during the 51th Annual General Meeting during December 2018.
- Eligibility Criteria:
1) The nominee must be Indian citizen.
2) He / She should have completed ten years’ experience in teaching/research.
3) He / She must belong to arecognized educational institution teaching O.R. / Management Science/engineering in respective stream / involved in application / research in industry.
4) Each nominee has to be proposed by at least one 'Senior Member' of ORSI and seconded by someone belonging to the stream for which the nomination is proposed. (Self-nominations are also accepted)
5) The nominee should have distinguished teaching, research /application and publication record.
6) Members of P.C.Mahalanobis Committee Award Committee are not eligible for this award.
- Selection Procedure:
The Central Council of ORSI has constituted a Selection Committee of five members, comprising three experts (one each for each stream) from three different regions, one of the current Vice-Presidents or past Presidents of ORSI, asthe Chairperson, and the Hon. Secretary of ORSI, as the Convener of the committee. The Selection Committee will evaluate the merit of the contribution and / or achievements of the nominees and recommend the panel for consideration and approval by the Central Council. Selection committee will evaluate the nominees keeping in view the following broad selection criteria:
1) Dissemination of knowledge.
2) Grooming talented professionals.
3) Impact created in the society.
4) Enhancing knowledge in their respective field.
5) Social contribution through education.
- Award to be presented:
1) Distinguished Educator Citation from ORSI.
2) Cash Award of ₹10,000/- each.
- Every nomination has be proposed and seconded by two senior members of the society. Interested candidates can send their detailed CV for the consideration of the committee indicating their teaching, research, and consultancy experience in operations research, management and engineering.
The CV(s) of the nominee(s) must accompany the nomination. Self-nomination is generally not encouraged.
Please forward the nomination(s) for the person(s), whom you would like to nominate, in the prescribed pro-forma attached herewith latest by November 14th 2018.
The detailed application with the CV of the prospective nominations can be sent electronically to
Prof. Bijan Sarkar
Professor, Department of Production Engineering
Jadavpur University, Kolkata
Phone(M) : 9831795761